Puff Puff Recipe: Sweet or Savory
Puff-puffs are an African delicacy that can either be a sweet treat or a savory snack. They’re bite-sized so they’re fun for kids (but dangerously tempting for adults)! With the Fall season upon us, puff-puffs can be a great warming snack for the whole fam. There are many different recipes for puff-puffs, especially depending on how you make the sauces and toppings. However, the basic ingredients stay the same and they are usually items that we keep in our pantries anyway. Every time I make these, I am taken back to memories of my childhood. I hope you enjoy! And I encourage you to use puff-puffs to make memories with your little ones.
Ingredients for your Puff Puffs
Hot Pepper Puff Puff Sauce
- Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- Tomato Paste
- Red Onions
Sweet Puff Puff Mix
- Powdered sugar
- 2 cups (250g) of Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons of yeast (the one used in baking bread)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (or to your taste)
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 pinches of salt
- Lukewarm water (for mixing)
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Puff Puff Recipe: Prep and Steps
Making the Puff Puff Dough
When making puff-puffs, it’s important to pay attention to the dough rather than just the measurements. Your puff-puff dough should not be sticky or water. You want to find a balance in the middle. If your dough is watery or too sticky, you have to add flour until you’re able to scoop it and drop it into your oil.
Once you’ve mixed all your ingredients together, cover the dough with saran wrap and a kitchen towel, and let it sit until the dough rises. While you wait, heat some oil on a pan. Once the dough is ready, bring a small bowl of oil and a small spoon (this can be a regular spoon or a measuring spoon). Dip your spoon in the bowl of oil and use it to scoop some of your dough into the hot pan. Watch your puff-puffs closely as they start to brown. Place them on a napkin covered plate to let the oil soak. Then, pair with your spicy or sweet mix and serve!
Make Spicy Puff Puffs
- Cut red onions and sautée with garlic
- Cut tomatoes and hot peppers then add
- Season with salt and pepper (and maggi, if you have it)
- Cover and cook until done
- Blend the mixture
- Put back in the pan
- Add tomato paste and cook down
- Serve as a dip to the puff-puffs
Make Sweet Puff Puffs
- Powdered sugar and cinnamon! This is as easy as tossing them and you’re done!