The Shawarma Recipe that Will Entertain Your Guests
With Thanksgiving coming around the corner, it’s nice to have easy and fun recipes that you can play around with. Shawarma is one of my favorite simple sandwiches to make when I have friends over. This holiday season, you can entertain your guests with what I like to call a “Shawarma Bar.” Basically, I prepare all of the ingredients before my guests arrive and lay them out on the table. The fun part is teaching everyone to wrap the sandwich and allowing them to enjoy as they please. Check out the YouTube video for step-by-step instructions!
- Red Onions
- Yellow Onion
- Maggi or Salt
- Chicken Breast
- Seasonings (Paprika, Adobo Seasoning, Cumin, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder)
- Fresh garlic
- Tortilla/Pita/Shawarma Bread
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Golden Potatoes
- Aluminum Foil
Preparing the Chicken
- Slice the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, Adobo, turmeric, garlic powder, and Maggi seasoning (optional).
- Crush fresh garlic and add to the seasoning mix (optional).
- Oil the pan and let it heat up for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Sautée the chicken.
- Slice the yellow onion and sautée it with the chicken until it’s completely cooked.
- Then set the chicken aside.
Preparing the Fries
- Slice the golden potatoes (with skin on) into the shape of fries or skinny wedges.
- Salt them for taste.
- Fry them in fresh oil, then set aside on a plate as they come up. I usually put a paper towel on the plate so it soaks up some of the oil.
*Pro Tip: I like to cook my fries at the same time as my chicken. So even though this is second on the list of this recipe, I actually recommend slicing the potatoes first and letting them fry so you can check on them occasionally as you cook the chicken.
Preparing the Sauce
- In a bowl, mix mayo, fresh garlic, black pepper, Maggi, and vinegar.
- Dice the red onion and add it to the sauce mixture.
Wrapping it all Together
For each sandwich:
- Toast the shawarma bread/tortilla. You can do this in the oven, on the stove, or in a toaster oven.
- Optional – If you like spice, you can add sriracha or another pepper sauce to the bread.
- Add a tablespoon of the mayo sauce.
- Place a few pieces of chicken on the bread.
- Add the pieces of fresh diced red and yellow onion.
- Slice and add cherry tomatoes.
- Chop and add parsley.
- Add the french fries.
- Finish with mayo sauce and wrap.
Then slice your sandwich and ENJOY!
Serve with fries and/or a salad!